On Nearness, Order & Things, Collecting and Material Culture from 1400 to Today
A Joint Conference Sponsored by
Northrop Frye Centre and Centre for Reformation and Renaissance Studies, University of Toronto
Victoria College, University of Toronto
8-9 April 2016
With support provided by the Jackman Humanities Institute
Program for the Arts, University of Toronto,
and by Queen's University
Prof. Susan Buck-Morss (CUNY Graduate Center & Cornell University)
Prof. Benjamin Schmidt (University of Washington)
Invited Artist: Prof. Carlota Caulfield (Mills College)
Pre-conference social, april 7 2016:
Thursday, April 7th 2016
7:30pm - 9:30pm
The Corkin Gallery
7 Tank House Lane, Distillery District
Please join us on the evening of April 7th as we take the opportunity to socialize pre-conference over light refreshments and good conversation in an award-winning space.
for a map to the venue and directions.
Conference Registration and Schedule:
Presented by the Northrop Frye Centre and Centre for Reformation and Renaissance Studies
With the Generous Support of the Corkin Gallery
to secure your spot today. Registration: Until March 31st, 2016
- Faculty and General Registration = $100.00 + HST. Click here to register.
- Graduate Students and Post-Docs = $50.00 + HST. Click here to register.
Late and On-Site Registration:
- Faculty and General Registration = $125.00 + HST.
- Graduate Students and Post-Docs = $65.00 + HST.
University of Toronto Undergraduate Students are eligible to receive complimentary registration subject to availability prior to March 31st, 2016. Students will be asked to present a valid TCard to confirm their status.
Please find below downloadable PDF documents of the Conference Schedule and Poster.
Conference participants may take advantage of the following hotel rates during your stay in Toronto. All hotels are within walking distance of the conference site:The Intercontinental Toronto Yorkville
Address: 220 Bloor St. West, Toronto, ON M5S 1T8
Ask for the UofT Conference Rate
of $199.00 CDN per night or utilize the group code: BQ7.
Alternatively, click here
for a direct link and select "Book Now" on the upper right-hand corner. This room rate is available until Tuesday March 8, 2016
. Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville
Address: 90 Bloor St. East, Toronto, ON M4W 1A7
Ask for the Northrop Frye Centre Rate
of $169.00 CDN per night or click here
for a direct online link. This room rate is available until Thursday March 10, 2016
.Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville
Address: 280 Bloor St. West, Toronto, ON M5S 1V8
Ask for the UofT Collecting Conference Rate
of $129.00 CDN per night or utilize group code: UCC
. Click here
to download your Conference Rate Reservation Request Form. This room rate is available until Monday March 7, 2016
As an alternative, one can find budget-friendly options at various University of Toronto student residences. The Burwash Bed and Breakfast offers modest accommodations right on the Victoria College campus. Click here
for further details. Please contact Massey College
or New College
to inquire into Spring 2016 availability.
From Pearson International Airport
- Public Transit: The 192 Airport Rocket route provides all-day accessible express bus service to Kipling Subway Station on the Bloor-Danforth Subway Line. Travel time to downtown Toronto is approximately 45 minutes for the cost of a single fare ($3.25 as of January 2016).
- Union Pearson Express: The UP Express offers a fast, convenient way into downtown Toronto. UP Express departs from Pearson Airport every 15 minutes to Union Subway Station on the University-Spadina Subway Line. Travel time is approximately 25 minutes for a one-way fare of $22.00 if purchased online.
- Airport Taxis and Limos: Limousines to hotels in downtown Toronto cost between $45 CAD and $55 CAD, plus tip, and take about 30 – 40 mins. Limousines are comfortable sedans, typically black, that operate similarly to taxis, but offer a higher standard of service and newer vehicles. Limousines are available outside of every terminal. The City of Toronto licenses the limousines that service Toronto Pearson International Airport to ensure safety standards and fare consistency. Rates are predetermined based on the time and distance to your destination within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
- Public Transit: From Billy Bishop take Porter Airline’s complimentary shuttle to Union Station, from where you can travel northbound on the Univeristy-Spadina Subway Line to St. George Station for a TTC fare of $3.25.
- Airport Shuttle: A complimentary express shuttle bus runs between Billy Bishop Airport and Downtown Toronto. The shuttle is open to anyone going to the airport.
- Taxis: A taxi rank is located immediately upon exiting the airport. Standard city rates will apply.
If you have any further questions, please contact email@example.com.