University of Toronto Vari Scholarship
Through a very generous donation from the George and Helen Vari Foundation, Victoria College offers an award valued at $10,000 to a student entering Second Year who plans to pursue a career in teaching at the primary or secondary level in Ontario.
Value: Up to $50,000. The award of $10,000 is renewable for three years of undergraduate studies and for a 2-year program leading to the Ontario Teacher's Certificate of Qualification.
- Awarded to a Victoria college student entering Second Year who clearly demonstrates an intention to enter the teaching profession.
- Candidates will be required to complete an application form and submit a statement.
- A minimum GPA of 3.50 is required.
- Financial need will be taken into consideration.
- Finalists will be interviewed.
- The award is renewable for Third and Fourth Year at Victoria College provided the renewal criteria has been met; and for two subsequent years in a 2-year program leading to the Ontario Teacher's Certificate of Qualification.
- Preference will be given to Victoria College students who have completed the Egerton Ryerson stream of the Vic One Program and who are enrolled in the Education & Society Minor Program.
- The successful recipient is not eligible to receive any additional Victoria College in-course awards.
- For awards purposes, completion of one year of study is 5.0 full course equivalents.
The award is renewed if a B+ (3.30 GPA) is maintained in Second and Third Year at Victoria College.
The recipient must submit an annual statement re-confirming their commitment to pursuing a career in teaching.
You will need your UTORID and password to enter the online application below.
Carefully read through the online application before you fill it out. Prepare all responses in advance. The online form does not allow you to save your entries.
A personal statement will be required (maximum 4,000 characters), which must be written entirely by the applicant and without the assistance of others.
Any financial values can be estimates.
Two reference letters will be required: one academic and one non-academic. These confidential letters must be submitted electronically by the published deadline at firstname.lastname@example.org
in Microsoft Word or PDF format and saved with the following filename "VARI_academic ltr_student surname_student firstname.doc" or "VARI_nonacademic ltr_student surname_student firstname.doc".
An electronic copy of your c.v (curriculum vitae) is required to be submitted in PDF file format and saved with the following filename "VARI CV_surname_firstname.PDF". The c.v. must be submitted electronically at email@example.com
by the application deadline.
Inquiries: email firstname.lastname@example.org
ENTER HERE FOR THE VARI SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
For optimal viewing, please use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
Privacy and Collection of Personal Information
Victoria University and the University of Toronto respects your privacy.Personal information that you provide to the University is collected pursuant to the Victoria University Act 1951 as amended 1981 and to section 2(14) of the University of Toronto Act, 1971. It is collected for the purpose of administering admissions, registration, academic programs, university-related student activities, activities of student societies, safety, financial assistance and awards, graduation and university advancement, and reporting to government. The University is also required to report student-level enrolment-related data to the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities as a condition of its receipt of operating grant funding. The Ministry collects this enrolment data, which includes limited personal information such as Ontario Education Numbers, student characteristics and educational outcomes, in order to administer government postsecondary funding, policies and programs, including planning, evaluation and monitoring activities. At all times it will be protected in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have questions, please contact the Victoria University’s Freedom of Information Officer at 416-585-4506, Northrop Frye Hall room 101, 73 Queen’s Park Crescent East, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1K7.