Q. Can I apply to the Vic CTEP and SMC CTEP?
A. Yes, but you may only accept one offer.

Q. Do I have to change my college affiliation to Victoria or SMC to be eligible for the program?
A. No. Any student registered in the Faculty of Arts & Sciences at the St. George campus may apply to CTEP at SMC and/or Vic.

Q. What is the Applicant Profile?
A. The Applicant Profile is an online application. Its purpose is to give the admissions committee more information about you as an individual and your suitability for becoming a teacher.  You must submit the profile by the application deadline. For more information on admissions, please visit our CTEP admissions page.

Q. How do I qualify for Vic CTEP?
A. To be eligible to apply to the program you must have a minimum of 4.0 full course equivalents (FCEs), including PSY100H1 (Introduction to Psychology).  It is also recommended that you complete a course in the social sciences (i.e. Anthropology, Sociology, Geography, Political Science, etc.). It is strongly recommended that applicants apply with a CGPA of 2.7 or higher, however, there is no strict cut-off.

Q. What courses will I need to take in my first year of CTEP (Year 2)?
A. You will be required to take Child and Adolescent Development in Education (0.5 credit) and Equity and Diversity in Education (0.5 credit). Both of these courses count towards your minor in Education and Society. You will begin your B.Ed. courses in Year 3.

Q. It is recommended that students enrol in either a major or a minor in one of the Faculty of Arts & Science's programs concerning the urban environment.  Does this mean that I must major or minor in Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology, Geography, Political Science, etc.? 
A. No. But it is necessary to have more than a passing knowledge of the urban environment if you wish to teach in a large metropolitan area such as Toronto. Therefore, it will be essential to have several courses in at least one of these areas by the time of graduation.

Q. Is the minor in Education and Society mandatory?
A. Yes, Vic CTEP students are required to complete a minor in Education and Society towards their H.B.A./H.B.Sc. through the Faculty of Arts & Science. 

Q. Is it possible to fast track in CTEP?
A. No. If you are a student entering third year and are admitted to Vic CTEP it will take at least four years from when you start the program until graduation.

Q. Will it be possible to complete Vic CTEP on a part time basis?
A. No. Not at this time.

Q. In Year 4 of Vic CTEP, why can I not take course in the spring semester?
A. This semester is designated as your professional semester. You will be in practica 3.5-4 days a week and in classes on Friday. You will not have time to take additional classes, even in the evenings, as you will have prep work and marking to do for your practicum.  

Q. Do you need two teachables in order to teach at the intermediate/senior (I/S) level?
A. Yes. For more information on teachable subjects, please visit http://ctep.utoronto.ca/program/areas.html

Q. If I'm interested in teaching at the I/S level, is it possible to be placed in an intermediate or high school class for my practicums?
A. No, because of the legislature governing teaching in Ontario, if you are enrolled in Vic CTEP, you must complete your practicums at the P/J level. If you wish to teach at the I/S level, you can complete your internship (VIC360H1) in an I/S setting to gain experience teaching in an intermediate/senior classroom or alternative environment.  

Q. Is it possible to qualify as a secondary teacher after completing Vic CTEP at the primary/junior-level?
A. Yes, it is possible to qualify as an intermediate/secondary school teacher after graduating from Vic CTEP by completing one or more AQ (Additional Qualification) courses. Such courses are offered at OISE and other schools across the province. To prepare for this/these course(s), you will need to have the requisite two teachables in your undergrad. For more information on additional qualifications, please visit http://www1.oise.utoronto.ca/aq/

Q. Will class sizes remain small during the course of the program?
A. The CTEP cohort for each year will not exceed 30 students; however, occasionally SMC and Vic will offer a course to the combined cohort of 60 students.

Q. Is it advisable to continue to participate in Vic Reach during second year (first year of CTEP)?
A. It is advisable as you will maintain contact with teaching and students. This may facilitate your ability to find a field placement as two of the VIC CTEP courses in Year 2 require a specific number of hours at a placement.

Q. Where can I go if I have an interest in teaching elementary school French?
A. UTSC (UofT Scarborough campus) and UTM (UofT Mississauga campus) each have a CTEP unit dedicated to those who wish to teach French; however, students at Vic will be able to do their practice teaching in French if they wish to and may qualify to teach French and an AQ course.

Q. If I want to teach core French or immersion French at the primary/junior level, what do I need to qualify?
A. You will need a minimum of five full undergraduate courses in French and an AQ (Additional Qualification) course in FSL (French as a Second Language). If you wish to teach French immersion, it is recommended that you complete a major or specialist in French. It is also highly recommended that you spend some time abroad in a school placement in a French-speaking country. Five week placements are available through ISE (International Student Exchange). In Year 3 or 4 you will write a proficiency test in French.

Q. Is the French option of CTEP a separate program?
A. The French option is part of CTEP. There are separate sections of CTEP at UTSC and UTM where you must take 10 full undergraduate courses in French as well as the recommendations and requirements in the previous answer. In the end you will have a specialist in French.

Q. If I am admitted to Vic CTEP, will I have the option of studying abroad?
A. Yes. Students are encouraged to spend some time studying abroad. Vic CTEP students have the option of studying for a semester abroad in the spring of Year 3, or completing their internship abroad over the summer months of Year 3 or 4.

Current Students