Fall: Monday, September 17, 2018 - Friday, December 14, 2018
Winter: Monday, January 14, 2019 - Friday, April 5, 2019 **EXTENDED DATES THROUGH EXAM PERIOD
Who can use the Victoria College Writing Centre?
All students who are registered at Victoria College; Arts and Science students who are enrolled in VIC courses; Faculty of Music undergraduate students; TST Emmanuel College students.
What we do:
The Writing Centre offers a tutorial service on an individual appointment basis. Each student receives individual help with a writing instructor. The session may last up to 50 minutes. The exact time allotment will be determined by the instructor.
The Victoria College Writing Centre also offers Research and Writing Seminars in collaboration with E. J. Pratt Library. Each session in the suite of four interactive seminars integrates the learning of academic research and writing skills and is taught by a librarian in collaboration with a writing instructor. The goal of each seminar is to help you develop your own voice as an emerging scholar by enabling you to identify, situate and substantiate your arguments in the context of the scholarly discussion taking place in your discipline. full details
Instructors help you develop your capacity to plan, organize, write and revise your essays, reviews, lab reports, case studies, and other academic papers. They will go over your work, and help you gain your own skills in writing, revising and editing. However, Instructors are not there to do your proofreading.
What you can do:
- Book your appointment at least 2 weeks in advance. Students may sign up for one appointment per week.
- Please note that blocks of appointments are released two weeks in advance.
- Appointments normally start 10 minutes after the hour.
- Schedule your appointment well before your paper is due. Leave time to do revisions after the consultation.
- Bring in your assignment sheet and other course material to help define your aims for the paper.You should bring a hardcopy of your work. Instructors will not look at assignments from your lap top.
- Come back regularly to work on a sequence of skills in a variety of assignments.
If you are used to seeing the same writing instructor often, you might consider working with other writing instructors from time to time to help you get a different perspective.
Cancellation Policy:If you need to cancel an appointment, please do so as soon as possible but at least 24 hours in advance. This will allow other students to get an appointment with an instructor sooner. Failing to cancel your appointment within the required time or simply not showing up to your scheduled appointment may result in you being blocked from booking further sessions.
PLEASE NOTE: Blocks of appointments are released two weeks in advance. Appointments normally start 10 minutes after the hour.