Prof. Emanuel Istrate
Coordinator & Instructor, Arthur Schawlow Stream
Office Phone: 416-978-1804
Office Location: VC 110
Office Hours and/or Leave Status: Tuesdays, 11–12 noon; Wednesdays, 1–2 p.m.
BASc - Engineering Science (University of Toronto)
PhD - Electrical Engineering (University of Toronto)
Emanuel Istrate is the coordinator of the Arthur Schawlow Stream in Physical Sciences of the Vic One program at Victoria College.
Istrate teaches one of the courses in the Vic One program – VIC172 – which explores the way science is advanced in our society, as well as a popular holography course – IVP210 – where students make their own holograms and learn the art and science of this medium.
Istrate received his PhD in electrical engineering from the University of Toronto in 2005, working on optical wave propagation in complex structures. After a brief post-doctoral fellowship he joined the Institute for Optical Sciences as the Academic Program Coordinator where he setup a number of courses and training programs for students studying optics at all levels of the University. More recently, he has contributed to the IOS’ and Impact Centre’s entrepreneurship and industry collaboration programs, as well as the Vic One program at Victoria College. Istrate is an active senior member of the IEEE, where he currently serves as the chair of the IEEE Toronto Section.
- Istrate and R.J.D. Miller, “A Holography Course in Toronto,” Education and Training in Optics and Photonics, July 2009.
- Istrate and R.J.D. Miller, “Education Programs of the Institute for Optical Sciences at the University of Toronto,” Education and Training in Optics and Photonics, July 2009.
- Istrate, S. Hoogland, V. Sukhovatkin, L.Levina, S. Myrskog, P.W.E. Smith and E.H. Sargent, “Carrier recombination dynamics in lead sulfide colloidal quantum dots,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 10, pages 2757-2760,2008.
- Istrate, A. S. Helmy, J. Sipe, M. C. Gohand and R.J.D. Miller, “University of Toronto Institute for Optical Sciences collaborative program in optics,” Education and Training in Optics and Photonics, June 2007.
- Istrate and E.H. Sargent, “Photoniccrystal heterostructures and interfaces,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 78, no. 2, pages 455-481, 2006.
- Istrate, A.A. Green and E.H. Sargent,“Behaviour of light at photonic crystal interfaces,” Physical Review B, vol.71, no. 195122, pages 195122-1-7, May 2005.
E. Istrate and E.H. Sargent, “Measurement of the phase shift upon reflection from photonic crystals,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 151112,
pages 151112-1-3, April 2005.
E. Istrate and E.H. Sargent, “Photonic crystalwaveguide analysis using interface boundary conditions,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 41, no. 3,
pages 461-467, March 2005.
- E. Istrate, A.A. Green and E.H. Sargent,“Efficient, accurate solutions for photonic crystal wave guide modes and coupling,” Frontiers in Optics/Laser Science Conference, October 2005.